|By PR Newswire||
|April 8, 2014 10:22 AM EDT||
ISLANDIA, N.Y., April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Business and technology executives are acutely aware of the dangers of IT downtime in their organizations – loss of productivity, loss of profitability and lower staff morale to name a few. But there are hidden costs to IT uptime that can be just as damaging to a company's profitability, according to Converged Technology Group (www.convergedtechgroup.com), an award-winning Managed Services Partner (MSP) serving clients throughout the Northeast. The company has created a five-point checklist outlining the hidden costs of IT uptime as well as a complimentary, downloadable eBook to help IT and business professionals identify these danger signs in their own IT departments.
To help combat costs associated with IT downtime and hidden costs associated with IT uptime, Converged Technology Group developed its Assist360 managed services offering. Assist360 is a co-managed, customizable, cloud-based suite of managed services designed specifically to help CIOs keep their business-critical technology systems online and secure while offloading much of their daily monitoring and maintenance demands. In addition to expected services like automated remote monitoring and alerts, SLA-based response and remediation, and help desk support and vendor management, Assist360 also offers unique services that include on-demand consulting to ensure the client's technology is meeting the business' needs and an easy-to-understand dashboard giving the CIO and internal IT staff views of all performance metrics across their company's IT landscape.
"The first step in running a more efficient, cost-effective IT department is in the CIO's willingness to assess where the company is today; whether or not the existing IT staff is able to dedicate any time to mission-critical tasks or just break-fix, lights-on kind of work; and whether or not anyone is willing to admit it if there is a problem," says Steve Drgon, Chief Technology Officer, Converged Technology Group. "Our Assist360 managed services offering is the result of an intense, two-year R&D effort that greatly expanded the in-depth services we have long offered our clients – including SLA-based incident responses, unlimited help desk support, and complete vendor management – to include consulting and dashboard services that show our clients we truly understand their businesses and the way they want to manage their IT. Our Assist360 managed services offering is one of the things that makes us a managed services partner to our clients, not just a provider. Managed services isn't just about offloading backroom services, and it's not about having one throat to choke. What it should be about – and what it is about at Converged Technology Group – is having one hand to shake."
Five Hidden Costs of IT Uptime
Uptime is a business imperative, but keeping systems up and running can be costly and time consuming. The question is, how costly and how time consuming? To help CIOs assess where they are and what changes they might want to make, Converged Technology Group has identified five common danger signs, each related to a hidden cost of IT uptime. Companies that find these profiles a match may need a new managed services strategy to curtail costs and free IT staff for more business-critical tasks.
- You're running a state-of-the-art data center instead of your business. Mobile computing, Big Data, BYOD – advancements like these make it easy to fall in love with the potential of information technology. System by system, companies grow accustomed to running this entire infrastructure in-house. But now, if this danger sign fits, IT pros realize they've reached a line where they're spending too much time thinking about IT and not enough about their industry or even their own customers.
- You can't use best-of-class technology because it's too complex for your in-house team to integrate and manage. From software-defined storage to big data analytics, determining the combination of vendors and products that will result in the most efficient and cost-effective solution is a complex undertaking. Hidden compatibility issues can stall seemingly routine deployments and require days of troubleshooting. Some installations require expensive, time-consuming training just to use new technologies. Watch out: Just dealing with multiple vendors' support staffs can keep an overworked IT staff from more business-critical work.
- You're killing efficiency, customer service and your reputation with downtime and slowdowns – Everyone knows how bad a headline-grabbing system outage can be. Even if the company isn't running a Fortune 500 airline reservation system, ecommerce site or global manufacturing network, slowdowns and crashes – especially those that affect customers – quietly sap revenue, profits and the organization's industry standing.
- You're missing hidden support costs as you move to the cloud. – While the cloud, including applications and other services delivered via the Internet, can be a sure way to cut costs, the virtualized nature of the cloud requires the licensing of, and staff training in, new tools, and sometimes different tools for different clouds. That means evaluating, choosing, licensing and training IT staff on multiple management platforms as well as potentially extending internal security and access controls to the public cloud, transferring data to a public cloud and retrieving it when moving to a new provider. All of this takes money and significant time to accomplish if the company is relying on its own internal staff alone.
- You're spending resources with providers rather than investing in partners. – As a business grows and changes, its technology requirements and scope change as well. As a result, it's critical to find and evaluate both current and future needs, including the vendors and service provider the company relies on. Does the managed service provider the organization is currently working with – internally or externally – really understand the company's core business rather than just its technology? Has the company chosen a Managed Services "Provider" of generic help desk, data center or integration services that would fit any business' needs or a Managed Services "Partner" that can proactively suggest creative technology solutions to the company's toughest business problems? Significant changes or growth in the business may require changes in the kind of partners serving that business as well as the quantifiable measurements such as uptime, performance or resolution times previously agreed upon.
- Find out how managed services like Assist360 can support IT infrastructure while lowering total cost of ownership: http://ow.ly/urpZz.
- Download an eBook, "The Five Hidden Costs of IT Uptime," to help calculate how much a business is spending on uptime here: http://bit.ly/1h7NecD.
- Watch brief videos on topics ranging from VDI to unified communications and cloud here: http://ow.ly/vdKnA.
About Converged Technology Group
Converged Technology Group is an award-winning Managed Services Partner (MSP) focused on improving IT performance and lowering the cost of technology support for growing businesses in healthcare, financial services, education, retail, legal and other cutting-edge industries. Located in Islandia, NY, and New York City, Converged Technology Group provides network infrastructure, unified communications, virtualized data center, cloud solutions and managed services to multinational enterprises headquartered in the Northeast. The company provides business-critical uptime all the time, and helps clients design, implement and operate their IT infrastructure, communication and computing systems for the greatest return on their IT investments. For more information on Converged Technology Group, please contact us at 631-468-5728 or [email protected], and visit our website at www.convergedtechgroup.com.
Director Business Development & Marketing
Converged Technology Group
Communication Strategy Group
SOURCE Converged Technology Group
So you’ve heard how click-to-call widgets can really enhance a website’s potential for customer interaction and you want to try it out for yourself. Or you’re considering offloading pieces of your VoIP infrastructure, but want to see how that would unfold first. Where can you find this technology, that’s free and available to try out? Spotting the potential in a space where customers can experiment with these types of features, Voxbone is launching The Workshop.
Jun. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 314
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Jun. 29, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 410
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jun. 29, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 387
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 29, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,029
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 337
The pace of innovation, vendor lock-in, production sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and managing risk… In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, discussed how CIOs are challenged finding the balance of finding the right tools, technology and operational model that serves the business the best. He also discussed how clouds, open source software and infrastructure solutions have benefits but also drawbacks and how workload and operational portability between vendors ...
Jun. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,132
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 409
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 393
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jun. 29, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 347
The initial debate is over: Any enterprise with a serious commitment to IT is migrating to the cloud. But things are not so simple. There is a complex mix of on-premises, colocated, and public-cloud deployments. In this power panel at 18th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Partnerships at Commvault; Dave Landa, Chief Operating Officer at kintone; William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interou...
Jun. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,033
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 347
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jun. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 597
Dialogic has announced that ZVRS chose Dialogic® PowerMedia™ XMS software media server as part of its latest video relay and translation service offering. ZVRS uses Dialogic’s PowerMedia XMS technology to provide a robust solution that supports a broad range of legacy devices and any-to-any video capabilities with its flagship Z70 videophone. ZVRS selected Dialogic’s solution to facilitate a release of Z70 that met its stringent requirements for legacy device support (H.263 and H.264) with high...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 469
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 376
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 643
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jun. 29, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 338
You are moving to the Cloud. The question is not if, it’s when. Now that your competitors are in the cloud and lapping you, your “when” better hurry up and get here. But saying and doing are two different things. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Robert Reeves, CTO of Datical, explained how DevOps can be your onramp to the cloud. By adopting simple, platform independent DevOps strategies, you can accelerate your move to the cloud. Spoiler Alert: He also makes sure you don’t...
Jun. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,162
Edge Hosting has announced a partnership with and the availability of CloudFlare, a web application firewall, CDN and DDoS mitigation service. “This partnership enhances Edge Hosting’s world class, perimeter layer, application (layer 7) defensive mechanism,” said Mark Houpt, Edge Hosting CISO. “The goal was to enable a new layer of customer controlled defense and compliance through the application of DDoS filters and mitigations, the web application firewall (WAF) feature and the added benefit ...
Jun. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 643
Digital Initiatives create new ways of conducting business, which drive the need for increasingly advanced security and regulatory compliance challenges with exponentially more damaging consequences. In the BMC and Forbes Insights Survey in 2016, 97% of executives said they expect a rise in data breach attempts in the next 12 months. Sixty percent said operations and security teams have only a general understanding of each other’s requirements, resulting in a “SecOps gap” leaving organizations u...
Jun. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,200
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,216