|By PR Newswire||
|April 8, 2014 10:22 AM EDT||
ISLANDIA, N.Y., April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Business and technology executives are acutely aware of the dangers of IT downtime in their organizations – loss of productivity, loss of profitability and lower staff morale to name a few. But there are hidden costs to IT uptime that can be just as damaging to a company's profitability, according to Converged Technology Group (www.convergedtechgroup.com), an award-winning Managed Services Partner (MSP) serving clients throughout the Northeast. The company has created a five-point checklist outlining the hidden costs of IT uptime as well as a complimentary, downloadable eBook to help IT and business professionals identify these danger signs in their own IT departments.
To help combat costs associated with IT downtime and hidden costs associated with IT uptime, Converged Technology Group developed its Assist360 managed services offering. Assist360 is a co-managed, customizable, cloud-based suite of managed services designed specifically to help CIOs keep their business-critical technology systems online and secure while offloading much of their daily monitoring and maintenance demands. In addition to expected services like automated remote monitoring and alerts, SLA-based response and remediation, and help desk support and vendor management, Assist360 also offers unique services that include on-demand consulting to ensure the client's technology is meeting the business' needs and an easy-to-understand dashboard giving the CIO and internal IT staff views of all performance metrics across their company's IT landscape.
"The first step in running a more efficient, cost-effective IT department is in the CIO's willingness to assess where the company is today; whether or not the existing IT staff is able to dedicate any time to mission-critical tasks or just break-fix, lights-on kind of work; and whether or not anyone is willing to admit it if there is a problem," says Steve Drgon, Chief Technology Officer, Converged Technology Group. "Our Assist360 managed services offering is the result of an intense, two-year R&D effort that greatly expanded the in-depth services we have long offered our clients – including SLA-based incident responses, unlimited help desk support, and complete vendor management – to include consulting and dashboard services that show our clients we truly understand their businesses and the way they want to manage their IT. Our Assist360 managed services offering is one of the things that makes us a managed services partner to our clients, not just a provider. Managed services isn't just about offloading backroom services, and it's not about having one throat to choke. What it should be about – and what it is about at Converged Technology Group – is having one hand to shake."
Five Hidden Costs of IT Uptime
Uptime is a business imperative, but keeping systems up and running can be costly and time consuming. The question is, how costly and how time consuming? To help CIOs assess where they are and what changes they might want to make, Converged Technology Group has identified five common danger signs, each related to a hidden cost of IT uptime. Companies that find these profiles a match may need a new managed services strategy to curtail costs and free IT staff for more business-critical tasks.
- You're running a state-of-the-art data center instead of your business. Mobile computing, Big Data, BYOD – advancements like these make it easy to fall in love with the potential of information technology. System by system, companies grow accustomed to running this entire infrastructure in-house. But now, if this danger sign fits, IT pros realize they've reached a line where they're spending too much time thinking about IT and not enough about their industry or even their own customers.
- You can't use best-of-class technology because it's too complex for your in-house team to integrate and manage. From software-defined storage to big data analytics, determining the combination of vendors and products that will result in the most efficient and cost-effective solution is a complex undertaking. Hidden compatibility issues can stall seemingly routine deployments and require days of troubleshooting. Some installations require expensive, time-consuming training just to use new technologies. Watch out: Just dealing with multiple vendors' support staffs can keep an overworked IT staff from more business-critical work.
- You're killing efficiency, customer service and your reputation with downtime and slowdowns – Everyone knows how bad a headline-grabbing system outage can be. Even if the company isn't running a Fortune 500 airline reservation system, ecommerce site or global manufacturing network, slowdowns and crashes – especially those that affect customers – quietly sap revenue, profits and the organization's industry standing.
- You're missing hidden support costs as you move to the cloud. – While the cloud, including applications and other services delivered via the Internet, can be a sure way to cut costs, the virtualized nature of the cloud requires the licensing of, and staff training in, new tools, and sometimes different tools for different clouds. That means evaluating, choosing, licensing and training IT staff on multiple management platforms as well as potentially extending internal security and access controls to the public cloud, transferring data to a public cloud and retrieving it when moving to a new provider. All of this takes money and significant time to accomplish if the company is relying on its own internal staff alone.
- You're spending resources with providers rather than investing in partners. – As a business grows and changes, its technology requirements and scope change as well. As a result, it's critical to find and evaluate both current and future needs, including the vendors and service provider the company relies on. Does the managed service provider the organization is currently working with – internally or externally – really understand the company's core business rather than just its technology? Has the company chosen a Managed Services "Provider" of generic help desk, data center or integration services that would fit any business' needs or a Managed Services "Partner" that can proactively suggest creative technology solutions to the company's toughest business problems? Significant changes or growth in the business may require changes in the kind of partners serving that business as well as the quantifiable measurements such as uptime, performance or resolution times previously agreed upon.
- Find out how managed services like Assist360 can support IT infrastructure while lowering total cost of ownership: http://ow.ly/urpZz.
- Download an eBook, "The Five Hidden Costs of IT Uptime," to help calculate how much a business is spending on uptime here: http://bit.ly/1h7NecD.
- Watch brief videos on topics ranging from VDI to unified communications and cloud here: http://ow.ly/vdKnA.
About Converged Technology Group
Converged Technology Group is an award-winning Managed Services Partner (MSP) focused on improving IT performance and lowering the cost of technology support for growing businesses in healthcare, financial services, education, retail, legal and other cutting-edge industries. Located in Islandia, NY, and New York City, Converged Technology Group provides network infrastructure, unified communications, virtualized data center, cloud solutions and managed services to multinational enterprises headquartered in the Northeast. The company provides business-critical uptime all the time, and helps clients design, implement and operate their IT infrastructure, communication and computing systems for the greatest return on their IT investments. For more information on Converged Technology Group, please contact us at 631-468-5728 or [email protected], and visit our website at www.convergedtechgroup.com.
Director Business Development & Marketing
Converged Technology Group
Communication Strategy Group
SOURCE Converged Technology Group
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, discussed how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at th...
Jun. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,708
"We provide a web application framework for building really sophisticated web applications that run on a browser without any installation need so we get used for biotech, defense, and banking applications," noted Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit (http://DevOpsSummit.SYS-CON.com), held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York
Jun. 29, 2015 04:16 PM EDT Reads: 505
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jun. 29, 2015 03:34 PM EDT Reads: 476
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jun. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,778
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jun. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,204
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect t...
Jun. 29, 2015 01:19 PM EDT Reads: 724
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of pro...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:19 PM EDT Reads: 596
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,519
Even as cloud and managed services grow increasingly central to business strategy and performance, challenges remain. The biggest sticking point for companies seeking to capitalize on the cloud is data security. Keeping data safe is an issue in any computing environment, and it has been a focus since the earliest days of the cloud revolution. Understandably so: a lot can go wrong when you allow valuable information to live outside the firewall. Recent revelations about government snooping, along...
Jun. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,103
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not ...
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,087
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,228
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,843
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jun. 29, 2015 10:46 AM EDT Reads: 497
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jun. 29, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,997
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jun. 29, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,879
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and Containers together help companies to achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of...
Jun. 29, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,949
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue o...
Jun. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,384
Malicious agents are moving faster than the speed of business. Even more worrisome, most companies are relying on legacy approaches to security that are no longer capable of meeting current threats. In the modern cloud, threat diversity is rapidly expanding, necessitating more sophisticated security protocols than those used in the past or in desktop environments. Yet companies are falling for cloud security myths that were truths at one time but have evolved out of existence.
Jun. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,934
SYS-CON Events announced today that JFrog, maker of Artifactory, the popular Binary Repository Manager, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based in California, Israel and France, founded by longtime field-experts, JFrog, creator of Artifactory and Bintray, has provided the market with the first Binary Repository solution and a software distribution social platform.
Jun. 29, 2015 09:20 AM EDT Reads: 573
In the midst of the widespread popularity and adoption of cloud computing, it seems like everything is being offered “as a Service” these days: Infrastructure? Check. Platform? You bet. Software? Absolutely. Toaster? It’s only a matter of time. With service providers positioning vastly differing offerings under a generic “cloud” umbrella, it’s all too easy to get confused about what’s actually being offered. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Kevin Hazard, Director of Digital Content for SoftL...
Jun. 29, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,924