|By Marketwired .||
|April 7, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwired) -- 04/07/14 -- NAB 2014 -- At NAB 2014 this week in Las Vegas, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is showcasing innovations to its video technology portfolio, including advancements to its industry-leading Videoscape TV service delivery platform. NAB attendees will be able to experience how Cisco, with its partners and customers, is driving new video experiences and formats, simplifying video processing infrastructures and reducing costs in video processing value chains. These solutions, and more, will be demonstrated at the Cisco booth, located at N9332 in the Las Vegas Convention Center, North Hall.
Cisco Advances Videoscape with Virtualized Video Processing and Advancements to AnyRes with Support for 4K and HEVC
At NAB 2014, Cisco is expanding its Videoscape TV service delivery platform with Virtualized Video Processing and advancements to AnyRes to support full-frame rate 4K content and the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) standard for both real time and on-demand.
Videoscape Virtualized Video Processing (V2P) utilizes Cisco's industry leading virtualization and cloud technologies to help media companies and service providers address the challenge of multi-screen video delivery and the dizzying proliferation of video processing workflows it is bringing. V2P empowers media companies and service providers with all the tools they need to address each and every workflow but leverages virtualization and cloud technologies to simplify their infrastructures, reducing operational burdens and breaking down functional silos. The result is increased agility in delivering new video experiences at lower costs, as well as more exciting user experiences, delivered faster. V2P is based on industry standard technology such as NFV and SDN, and integrates into Cisco's overall virtualization strategy and is a key part of the broader Cisco Evolved Services Platform. Additional information about Videoscape V2P can be found here.
Also announced at NAB 2014 are advancements to Videoscape AnyRes encoding solution to support full-frame rate 4K/Ultra High Definition content and HEVC standard. Available today to service provider and media companies, Videoscape AnyRes enables Cisco's customers to simplify video processing and distribution and fuels their transition to IP-based delivery platforms.
More information on the expansion of Videoscape capabilities, including Virtualized Video Processing and AnyRes, can be found here.
Cisco Demonstrations at NAB 2014:
At NAB 2014, Cisco will collaborate with Sony for an industry-first public demonstration of full-rate 4K 60P content delivery from New York City to the Las Vegas Convention Center. The demonstration, which encompasses Videoscape AnyRes and a Cisco set-top box with 4K support, will be available for show attendees to witness during NAB exhibition hours at the Cisco booth (N9332) in the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Additional Cisco demos at NAB:
- Real Time Contribution:
- Cisco will demonstrate IP transport of uncompressed, Advanced Video Coding (AVC), and JPEG 2000; as well as a path to 4K content for Primary Distribution.
- Bandwidth Optimization for Premium Content Video Delivery:
- Cisco will demonstrate advanced compression techniques, which reduce the bandwidth required to deliver video over satellite or cable networks for primary and secondary distribution, without loss of quality.
- Single Unit Transcode:
- Cisco will demonstrate how a single platform can accept both real-time and on-demand video in any format, including 4K, HEVC, AVC and MPEG2, and transcode it into all the formats required for multiscreen delivery to set-top boxes, game consoles, smartphones, tablets and other end points.
- Ad Plus: Ad Swap
- Cisco will demonstrate capabilities for the operator to substitute advertisements in primary distribution enabling broadcasters to navigate regional licensing or regulatory issues, delivering improved monetization.
- All IP Production:
- Cisco will demonstrate all-IP production with an emphasis on integration of all IP environments with existing broadcast infrastructure. The demonstration will also focus on implementing SDN WAN orchestration. This demonstration will also be showcased at the Snell booth (N1820).
- Soft Clients and Security
- Cisco will demonstrate an HTML5 development platform for a range of devices, including tablets, smartphones, and desktop PCs.
- In addition we will show Media Guard and VideoGuard DRM for the protection of content on Desktop PCs, gaming devices, tablets and others.
- Automated Metadata
- Cisco will demonstrate automated metadata insertion and management.
Cisco Speakers at NAB 2014:
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Moving to an All-IP Infrastructure, Monday, April 7, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Cisco presenters include:
- Bob Schattner, Business Development for Service Provider Innovation
- Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy
- Peter Chave, System Architect
- OTT Considerations: Functionalities & Technologies, Monday, April 7, 2:30 - 3:00 p.m., Location: S228; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco, presenter.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Why Managing Content in the Cloud Matters, Tuesday, April 8, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco, will serve as the moderator. Panelists include: Ian Hamilton, Chief Technology Officer, Signiant; Jaap Haitsma, Chief Technology Officer, Civolution; and Dr. Spincer Koh, CEO, Gorilla Technology Group.
- Keynote Super Session - Cisco Presents: The Transition from Live to Event TV, Tuesday, April 8, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., Location: S222; Discussion will be moderated by Greg Ireland, Research Manager, Consumer Markets, IDC.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Is Cloud Editing the Future of Post Production?, Wednesday, April 9, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco will serve as the moderator. Panelists include: Mark Overington, President, North America, Aframe; Bill Roberts, Senior Director, Professional Video Product Management, Adobe; and Dave Colantuoni, Senior Director, Product Management, Creative Apps/Storage, Avid.
- Routing Live Uncompressed Production Video on IP Networks, Wednesday, April 9, 2:00 - 2:30 p.m., Location: S228; Peter Chave, System Architect, Cisco, presenter.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Primestream - File Based Video Workflows and Their Complexity, Thursday, April 10, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Warren Arenstein, Senior Vice President, Primestream Corporation, presenter.
Additional Cisco News at NAB 2014:
- Snell and Cisco Partner for IP-Enabled Broadcast Production
- High-Quality Online Video Anchors Akamai Presence at 2014 NAB Show
- Joe Cozzolino, Senior Vice President, General Manager, Service Provider Video Infrastructure
"Cisco's broad portfolio of video solutions on display at NAB will demonstrate that we are the best partner for media companies and service providers looking to scale and monetize their businesses, and most importantly, stay ahead of rapid changes in the video landscape. The advancements to the Videoscape platform make it the most compelling and holistic TV delivery service platform on the market. This allows our customers to manage new and exciting video experiences from contribution, to production, to distribution."
Additional Supporting Resources
- Read blog series: Cisco at NAB 2014 at Cisco SP360 Blog: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow us on our LinkedIn page for targeted updates and announcements
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Tags/Keywords: Cisco, NAB, NAB 2014, HEVC, 4K, UltraHD, encoding, broadcasters, cloud, cloud video, IP, IP Video, Joe Cozzolino, Videoscape, TV Everywhere, service provider, cable operator, TV, Snell, Akamai, multi-screen video
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 4, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 541
"Venafi has a platform that allows you to manage, centralize and automate the complete life cycle of keys and certificates within the organization," explained Gina Osmond, Sr. Field Marketing Manager at Venafi, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:45 AM EST Reads: 785
Effectively SMBs and government programs must address compounded regulatory compliance requirements. The most recent are Controlled Unclassified Information and the EU's GDPR have Board Level implications. Managing sensitive data protection will likely result in acquisition criteria, demonstration requests and new requirements. Developers, as part of the pre-planning process and the associated supply chain, could benefit from updating their code libraries and design by incorporating changes. In...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 969
"Coalfire is a cyber-risk, security and compliance assessment and advisory services firm. We do a lot of work with the cloud service provider community," explained Ryan McGowan, Vice President, Sales (West) at Coalfire Systems, Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 759
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 749
CloudJumper, a Workspace as a Service (WaaS) platform innovator for agile business IT, has been recognized with the Customer Value Leadership Award for its nWorkSpace platform by Frost & Sullivan. The company was also featured in a new report(1) by the industry research firm titled, “Desktop-as-a-Service Buyer’s Guide, 2016,” which provides a comprehensive comparison of DaaS providers, including CloudJumper, Amazon, VMware, and Microsoft.
Dec. 4, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 705
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 689
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, sha...
Dec. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 803
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Dec. 4, 2016 06:15 AM EST Reads: 6,971
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 4, 2016 05:30 AM EST Reads: 1,753
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes how...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 4,968
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 4, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 1,554
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 6,226
Let’s face it, embracing new storage technologies, capabilities and upgrading to new hardware often adds complexity and increases costs. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Seth Oxenhorn, Vice President of Business Development & Alliances at FalconStor, discussed how a truly heterogeneous software-defined storage approach can add value to legacy platforms and heterogeneous environments. The result reduces complexity, significantly lowers cost, and provides IT organizations with improved efficienc...
Dec. 4, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 4,959
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 4, 2016 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,570
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 4, 2016 02:15 AM EST Reads: 886
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Dec. 4, 2016 02:00 AM EST Reads: 3,786
Between 2005 and 2020, data volumes will grow by a factor of 300 – enough data to stack CDs from the earth to the moon 162 times. This has come to be known as the ‘big data’ phenomenon. Unfortunately, traditional approaches to handling, storing and analyzing data aren’t adequate at this scale: they’re too costly, slow and physically cumbersome to keep up. Fortunately, in response a new breed of technology has emerged that is cheaper, faster and more scalable. Yet, in meeting these new needs they...
Dec. 4, 2016 12:30 AM EST Reads: 1,788
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data professionals...
Dec. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EST Reads: 4,166
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 11:00 PM EST Reads: 971