|By Marketwired .||
|April 7, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwired) -- 04/07/14 -- NAB 2014 -- At NAB 2014 this week in Las Vegas, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is showcasing innovations to its video technology portfolio, including advancements to its industry-leading Videoscape TV service delivery platform. NAB attendees will be able to experience how Cisco, with its partners and customers, is driving new video experiences and formats, simplifying video processing infrastructures and reducing costs in video processing value chains. These solutions, and more, will be demonstrated at the Cisco booth, located at N9332 in the Las Vegas Convention Center, North Hall.
Cisco Advances Videoscape with Virtualized Video Processing and Advancements to AnyRes with Support for 4K and HEVC
At NAB 2014, Cisco is expanding its Videoscape TV service delivery platform with Virtualized Video Processing and advancements to AnyRes to support full-frame rate 4K content and the High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) standard for both real time and on-demand.
Videoscape Virtualized Video Processing (V2P) utilizes Cisco's industry leading virtualization and cloud technologies to help media companies and service providers address the challenge of multi-screen video delivery and the dizzying proliferation of video processing workflows it is bringing. V2P empowers media companies and service providers with all the tools they need to address each and every workflow but leverages virtualization and cloud technologies to simplify their infrastructures, reducing operational burdens and breaking down functional silos. The result is increased agility in delivering new video experiences at lower costs, as well as more exciting user experiences, delivered faster. V2P is based on industry standard technology such as NFV and SDN, and integrates into Cisco's overall virtualization strategy and is a key part of the broader Cisco Evolved Services Platform. Additional information about Videoscape V2P can be found here.
Also announced at NAB 2014 are advancements to Videoscape AnyRes encoding solution to support full-frame rate 4K/Ultra High Definition content and HEVC standard. Available today to service provider and media companies, Videoscape AnyRes enables Cisco's customers to simplify video processing and distribution and fuels their transition to IP-based delivery platforms.
More information on the expansion of Videoscape capabilities, including Virtualized Video Processing and AnyRes, can be found here.
Cisco Demonstrations at NAB 2014:
At NAB 2014, Cisco will collaborate with Sony for an industry-first public demonstration of full-rate 4K 60P content delivery from New York City to the Las Vegas Convention Center. The demonstration, which encompasses Videoscape AnyRes and a Cisco set-top box with 4K support, will be available for show attendees to witness during NAB exhibition hours at the Cisco booth (N9332) in the Las Vegas Convention Center.
Additional Cisco demos at NAB:
- Real Time Contribution:
- Cisco will demonstrate IP transport of uncompressed, Advanced Video Coding (AVC), and JPEG 2000; as well as a path to 4K content for Primary Distribution.
- Bandwidth Optimization for Premium Content Video Delivery:
- Cisco will demonstrate advanced compression techniques, which reduce the bandwidth required to deliver video over satellite or cable networks for primary and secondary distribution, without loss of quality.
- Single Unit Transcode:
- Cisco will demonstrate how a single platform can accept both real-time and on-demand video in any format, including 4K, HEVC, AVC and MPEG2, and transcode it into all the formats required for multiscreen delivery to set-top boxes, game consoles, smartphones, tablets and other end points.
- Ad Plus: Ad Swap
- Cisco will demonstrate capabilities for the operator to substitute advertisements in primary distribution enabling broadcasters to navigate regional licensing or regulatory issues, delivering improved monetization.
- All IP Production:
- Cisco will demonstrate all-IP production with an emphasis on integration of all IP environments with existing broadcast infrastructure. The demonstration will also focus on implementing SDN WAN orchestration. This demonstration will also be showcased at the Snell booth (N1820).
- Soft Clients and Security
- Cisco will demonstrate an HTML5 development platform for a range of devices, including tablets, smartphones, and desktop PCs.
- In addition we will show Media Guard and VideoGuard DRM for the protection of content on Desktop PCs, gaming devices, tablets and others.
- Automated Metadata
- Cisco will demonstrate automated metadata insertion and management.
Cisco Speakers at NAB 2014:
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Moving to an All-IP Infrastructure, Monday, April 7, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Cisco presenters include:
- Bob Schattner, Business Development for Service Provider Innovation
- Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy
- Peter Chave, System Architect
- OTT Considerations: Functionalities & Technologies, Monday, April 7, 2:30 - 3:00 p.m., Location: S228; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco, presenter.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Why Managing Content in the Cloud Matters, Tuesday, April 8, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco, will serve as the moderator. Panelists include: Ian Hamilton, Chief Technology Officer, Signiant; Jaap Haitsma, Chief Technology Officer, Civolution; and Dr. Spincer Koh, CEO, Gorilla Technology Group.
- Keynote Super Session - Cisco Presents: The Transition from Live to Event TV, Tuesday, April 8, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., Location: S222; Discussion will be moderated by Greg Ireland, Research Manager, Consumer Markets, IDC.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Is Cloud Editing the Future of Post Production?, Wednesday, April 9, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Tom Ohanian, Digital Media Strategy, Cisco will serve as the moderator. Panelists include: Mark Overington, President, North America, Aframe; Bill Roberts, Senior Director, Professional Video Product Management, Adobe; and Dave Colantuoni, Senior Director, Product Management, Creative Apps/Storage, Avid.
- Routing Live Uncompressed Production Video on IP Networks, Wednesday, April 9, 2:00 - 2:30 p.m., Location: S228; Peter Chave, System Architect, Cisco, presenter.
- Cisco Connected Media World Daily Keynote: Primestream - File Based Video Workflows and Their Complexity, Thursday, April 10, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Location: CMW Theater; Warren Arenstein, Senior Vice President, Primestream Corporation, presenter.
Additional Cisco News at NAB 2014:
- Snell and Cisco Partner for IP-Enabled Broadcast Production
- High-Quality Online Video Anchors Akamai Presence at 2014 NAB Show
- Joe Cozzolino, Senior Vice President, General Manager, Service Provider Video Infrastructure
"Cisco's broad portfolio of video solutions on display at NAB will demonstrate that we are the best partner for media companies and service providers looking to scale and monetize their businesses, and most importantly, stay ahead of rapid changes in the video landscape. The advancements to the Videoscape platform make it the most compelling and holistic TV delivery service platform on the market. This allows our customers to manage new and exciting video experiences from contribution, to production, to distribution."
Additional Supporting Resources
- Read blog series: Cisco at NAB 2014 at Cisco SP360 Blog: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow us on our LinkedIn page for targeted updates and announcements
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Tags/Keywords: Cisco, NAB, NAB 2014, HEVC, 4K, UltraHD, encoding, broadcasters, cloud, cloud video, IP, IP Video, Joe Cozzolino, Videoscape, TV Everywhere, service provider, cable operator, TV, Snell, Akamai, multi-screen video
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
DevOps is all about agility. However, you don't want to be on a high-speed bus to nowhere. The right DevOps approach controls velocity with a tight feedback loop that not only consists of operational data but also incorporates business context. With a business context in the decision making, the right business priorities are incorporated, which results in a higher value creation. In his session at DevOps Summit, Todd Rader, Solutions Architect at AppDynamics, discussed key monitoring techniques...
May. 27, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,855
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, discussed how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money!
May. 27, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,262
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 27, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,195
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will addresses this very serious issue o...
May. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,464
Want to enable self-service provisioning of application environments in minutes that mirror production? Can you automatically provide rich data with code-level detail back to the developers when issues occur in production? In his session at DevOps Summit, David Tesar, Microsoft Technical Evangelist on Microsoft Azure and DevOps, will discuss how to accomplish this and more utilizing technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio online, and Application Insights in this demo-heavy session.
May. 27, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,563
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BMC delivers software solutions that help IT transform digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive business advantage. BMC has worked with thousands of leading companies to create and deliver powerful IT management services. From mainframe to cloud to mobile, BMC pairs high-speed digital innovation with robust...
May. 27, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,181
Over the years, a variety of methodologies have emerged in order to overcome the challenges related to project constraints. The successful use of each methodology seems highly context-dependent. However, communication seems to be the common denominator of the many challenges that project management methodologies intend to resolve. In this respect, Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) can be viewed as powerful tools for managing projects. Few research papers have focused on the way...
May. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,157
As the world moves from DevOps to NoOps, application deployment to the cloud ought to become a lot simpler. However, applications have been architected with a much tighter coupling than it needs to be which makes deployment in different environments and migration between them harder. The microservices architecture, which is the basis of many new age distributed systems such as OpenStack, Netflix and so on is at the heart of CloudFoundry – a complete developer-oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS...
May. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,073
As cloud gives an opportunity to businesses to buy services externally – how is cloud impacting your customers? In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Fabio Gori, Director of Worldwide Cloud Marketing at Cisco, provided answers to big questions: Do you see hybrid cloud as where the world is going? What benefits does it bring? And how does Cisco connect all of these clouds? He also discussed Intercloud and Cisco’s investment on it.
May. 27, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,069
Containers Expo Blog covers the world of containers, as this lightweight alternative to virtual machines enables developers to work with identical dev environments and stacks. Containers Expo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Bookmark Containers Expo Blog ▸ Here Follow new article posts on Twitter at @ContainersExpo
May. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,679
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
May. 27, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,797
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, will review next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discuss how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Speaker Bios Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has b...
May. 27, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,993
SYS-CON Events announced today that O'Reilly Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption...
May. 27, 2015 03:37 PM EDT Reads: 673
In a recent research, analyst firm IDC found that the average cost of a critical application failure is $500,000 to $1 million per hour and the average total cost of unplanned application downtime is $1.25 billion to $2.5 billion per year for Fortune 1000 companies. In addition to the findings on the cost of the downtime, the research also highlighted best practices for development, testing, application support, infrastructure, and operations teams.
May. 27, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,850
The OpenStack cloud operating system includes Trove, a database abstraction layer. Rather than applications connecting directly to a specific type of database, they connect to Trove, which in turn connects to one or more specific databases. One target database is Postgres Plus Cloud Database, which includes its own RESTful API. Trove was originally developed around MySQL, whose interfaces are significantly less complicated than those of the Postgres cloud database. In his session at 16th Cloud...
May. 27, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,976
EMC Corporation on Tuesday announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held Virtustream. When the transaction closes, Virtustream will form EMC’s new managed cloud services business. The acquisition represents a transformational element of EMC’s strategy to help customers move all applications to cloud-based IT environments. With the addition of Virtustream, EMC completes the industry’s most comprehensive hybrid cloud portfolio to support all applications, all workl...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,319
In her General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing, at Verizon Enterprise, focused on finding the right mix of renting vs. buying Oracle capacity to scale to meet business demands, and offer validated Oracle database TCO models for Oracle development and testing environments. Anne Plese is a marketing and technology enthusiast/realist with over 19+ years in high tech. At Verizon Enterprise, she focuses on driving growth for the Verizon Cloud platfo...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,678
The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential. The DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo – to be held June 3-5, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City – will expand the DevOps community, enable a wide...
May. 27, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,765
How does one bridge the gap between traditional enterprise storage infrastructures and the private, hybrid, and public cloud? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Pollack, Chief Architect of Storage Operations at AOL Inc., examed the workload differences and required changes to reuse existing knowledge and components when building and using a cloud infrastructure. He also looked into the operational considerations, tool requirements, and behavioral changes required for private cloud storage s...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,959
Software is eating the world. Companies that were not previously in the technology space now find themselves competing with Google and Amazon on speed of innovation. As the innovation cycle accelerates, companies must embrace rapid and constant change to both applications and their infrastructure, and find a way to deliver speed and agility of development without sacrificing reliability or efficiency of operations. In her Day 2 Keynote DevOps Summit, Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell, discussed...
May. 27, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,846