|By Kapil Raval||
|February 18, 2013 09:00 AM EST||
It's common knowledge that the subscriber growth enjoyed by wireless Communication Service Providers (CSPs) over the last several years is tapering off. The CSPs really need new sources of revenue to deliver the required growth. Over-The-Top (OTT) players on the other hand are moving quickly into the SP ecosystems and reaching out to their subscribers. To top it all, the regulators are encouraging new entrants and driving prices down. In Europe, regulations for low mobile termination rates and new international roaming charges are impacting revenue and profit for CSPs. The growth of mobile data traffic and the customer demands for better and personalized services are forcing CSPs to invest significantly to upgrade their networks and devices. There are a lot more similar challenges that CSPs face; however, the key point is that the CSPs have to focus on new sources of revenue to augment what they generate from their infrastructure, services portfolio and customer base.
One area where the CSPs have a definite edge over the OTT players is the access to real-time subscriber intelligence. CSPs have a lot of information (read it as Big Data) about an individual subscriber's taste, preferences, favorites, location, their consumption behavior of different voice and data services, service experience, payment history, etc. In addition to the current and contextual subscriber information, the CSPs also have access to a massive amount of untapped historical data (e.g., subscriber and service history) that can be aggregated and brought back into the present to build a richer subscriber profile and identity. The information is captured from different sources in the network at different times using different techniques and, in most cases, scattered across different databases and data warehouses. The CSPs can understand a lot more about their customers and deliver a much more personalized experience by investing in deeper real-time analytics capabilities, leveraging all these subscriber data and deriving to actionable customer intelligence-driven business models (e.g., meaningful products and services).
Analytics improves multiple aspects of CSPs' operations. Terabytes of dynamic customer data will continue to grow exponentially as carriers add new services and as IP-based traffic increases. Big Data is an opportunity for CSPs to create the intelligence for operating a network more efficiently, to analyze the success of the services that CSPs are offering, and to create a better personalized experience for their customers. Big Data analytics enables service providers to better segment subscribers to provide more targeted marketing spend and the insight to predict churn, cross-sell and upsell opportunities, the quality of customer experience and the lifetime value of a customer. The product managers get a better understanding of which services are most profitable, the impact of competitive offerings and the effect of cannibalization caused by a new product roll-out. It also gives network operations the ability to predict capacity issues and the impact of a new service launch.
I have listed below a few areas where wireless service providers can leverage Big Data analytics to improve market share and ARPU (average revenue per user). HP has the skills, experience, products and solutions in this area. HP has combined its business analytics solution with deep telecom networking expertise to help CSPs generate actionable insights for their market growth.
- Correlate structured and unstructured data from OSS, BSS and Social Intelligence to act in real-time and overcome the complexity of managing networks, services and subscribers across their technical and user experience dimensions
- Customer Experience Management: offer the best quality of experience to end-users (network intelligence); Gain a single-pane-of-glass visibility into individual user's experience, services and network; Improve the business processes and functions related to customer experience responsibilities
§ Customer experience management combined with policy management and Real Time Billing can improve ARPU and reduce churn (service intelligence) by identifying:
- Subscribers who need retention activity (e.g., subsidies for new phones, free months of service to compensate for low quality of experience, automated bill adjustments or credits, etc.)
- Quality of network services (voice/data) and root cause of issues to proactively resolve them and proactively fixing of potential issues for high value subscribers
- Integration points between OSS and BSS infrastructures for automation and proactive care
- Service Personalization: Understand customers to deliver personalized services, digital curation-based content, bundles and offerings in real-time; create a smart unified user profile and analytics with a full panoramic and integrated view of the consumer, network and personal data
§ Campaign management: Improve ARPU and customer loyalty through personalized Campaigns
- Analyze real-time usage to make intra-day marketing program changes, enhanced marketing strategies with real-time analysis
- Develop marketing strategies when customers are approaching the cap, both for mobile (e.g., provide voice minutes to the preferred number, data traffic only for favorite online service) and fixed BB (e.g., Provide data traffic for preferred video on demand provider)
- Offer improvement (and up/cross selling) when users engage call center agents
- Social Intelligence: understand what customers think, improve customer acquisition/retention and create brand awareness, improve & predict sales. Social Intelligence enables organizations to understand and leverage how people behave and what people do on Social Media channels. Social Intelligence is an enabler for many different scenarios:
§ Acquire, retain, and develop high-value customers
§ Reduce value decay and Improving cross-selling rates
§ Optimize communication costs, Improve customer service, manage Customer service crowdsourcing and "owned communities"
§ Activate influencers and enable advocacy
§ Meaning based advertisement
§ Monetize subscribers' base with advertising, couponing and affiliation-based models.
- Monetize the Customer knowledge and Big Data sssets through advertising and revenue Sharing (e.g., affiliation) business models.
- The mobile ecosystem is where the service-providers have far more tools and strategies available to engage subscribers and get a slice of the digital advertising market
- Measure and monitor monetization of campaigns in real time for different business models (from traditional pay per click advertising, enhanced digital Couponing to the end to end digital buyer's journey) through solutions like:
§ Advanced customer profiling (Big Data combining Network, CRM and Social data)
§ Campaign management
§ Advertising marketplace
- Sharing customer data
- As the most basic first step Service providers could share their data assets with other big analytics and marketing platforms, to help them build and monetize the data and get a share of the revenues in such a case.
Most of the CSPs are aware of these opportunity areas. To implement any of these use cases, it's important to look at the end-to-end processes, integration points, analytics tools, storage and above all, applying the right logic to derive intelligence out of data. It is my view that many CSPs will start investing this year in Big Data Analytics. Those with dominant market share might start with customer experience management whereas others might start with monetizing the customer intelligence. By 2015, Big Data analytics will be one of the critical areas for CSPs to maintain their market-share.
Until recently, many organizations required specialized departments to perform mapping and geospatial analysis, and they used Esri on-premise solutions for that work. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dave Peters, author of the Esri Press book Building a GIS, System Architecture Design Strategies for Managers, will discuss how Esri has successfully included the cloud as a fully integrated SaaS expansion of the ArcGIS mapping platform. Organizations that have incorporated Esri cloud-based applications and content within their business models are reaping huge benefits by directly leveraging cloud-based mapping and analysis capabilities within their existing enterprise investments. The ArcGIS mapping platform includes cloud-based content management and information resources to more widely, efficiently, and affordably deliver real-time actionable information and analysis capabilities to your organization.
Aug. 19, 2014 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 867
In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Mark Hinkle, Senior Director, Open Source Solutions at Citrix Systems Inc., will provide overview of the open source software that can be used to deploy and manage a cloud computing environment. He will include information on storage, networking(e.g., OpenDaylight) and compute virtualization (Xen, KVM, LXC) and the orchestration(Apache CloudStack, OpenStack) of the three to build their own cloud services. Speaker Bio: Mark Hinkle is the Senior Director, Open Source Solutions, at Citrix Systems Inc. He joined Citrix as a result of their July 2011 acquisition of Cloud.com where he was their Vice President of Community. He is currently responsible for Citrix open source efforts around the open source cloud computing platform, Apache CloudStack and the Xen Hypervisor. Previously he was the VP of Community at Zenoss Inc., a producer of the open source application, server, and network management software, where he grew the Zenoss Core project to over 10...
Aug. 17, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,854
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mac Devine, Distinguished Engineer at IBM, will discuss bringing these three elements together via Systems of Discover.
Aug. 17, 2014 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,010
As more applications and services move "to the cloud" (public or on-premise) cloud environments are increasingly adopting and building out traditional enterprise features. This in turn is enabling and encouraging cloud adoption from enterprise users. In many ways the definition is blurring as features like continuous operation, geo-distribution or on-demand capacity become the norm. NuoDB is involved in both building enterprise software and using enterprise cloud capabilities. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Seth Proctor, CTO at NuoDB, Inc., will discuss the experiences from building, deploying and using enterprise services and suggest some ways to approach moving enterprise applications into a cloud model.
Aug. 16, 2014 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,916
Cloud and Big Data present unique dilemmas: embracing the benefits of these new technologies while maintaining the security of your organization’s assets. When an outside party owns, controls and manages your infrastructure and computational resources, how can you be assured that sensitive data remains private and secure? How do you best protect data in mixed use cloud and big data infrastructure sets? Can you still satisfy the full range of reporting, compliance and regulatory requirements? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Derek Tumulak, Vice President of Product Management at Vormetric, will discuss how to address data security in cloud and Big Data environments so that your organization isn’t next week’s data breach headline.
Aug. 16, 2014 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,546
The cloud is everywhere and growing, and with it SaaS has become an accepted means for software delivery. SaaS is more than just a technology, it is a thriving business model estimated to be worth around $53 billion dollars by 2015, according to IDC. The question is – how do you build and scale a profitable SaaS business model? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jason Cumberland, Vice President, SaaS Solutions at Dimension Data, will give the audience an understanding of common mistakes businesses make when transitioning to SaaS; how to avoid them; and how to build a profitable and scalable SaaS business.
Aug. 16, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,220
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridstore delivers vmOptimized™ Storage that self-optimizes to each application or VM across both virtual and physical environments. Leveraging a grid architecture, Gridstore delivers the first end-to-end storage QoS to ensure the most important App or VM performance is never compromised. The storage grid, that uses Gridstore’s performance optimized nodes or capacity optimized nodes, starts with as few a...
Aug. 15, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,470
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia, the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between personal and professional social, mobile and cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dramatically improve productivity, reduce collaboration costs, and increase the overall enterprise value by bringing collaboration and infrastructure solutions to the cloud.
Aug. 15, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,474
Cloud computing started a technology revolution; now DevOps is driving that revolution forward. By enabling new approaches to service delivery, cloud and DevOps together are delivering even greater speed, agility, and efficiency. No wonder leading innovators are adopting DevOps and cloud together! In his session at DevOps Summit, Andi Mann, Vice President of Strategic Solutions at CA Technologies, will explore the synergies in these two approaches, with practical tips, techniques, research data, war stories, case studies, and recommendations.
Aug. 13, 2014 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,402
Enterprises require the performance, agility and on-demand access of the public cloud, and the management, security and compatibility of the private cloud. The solution? In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Simone Brunozzi, VP and Chief Technologist(global role) for VMware, will explore how to unlock the power of the hybrid cloud and the steps to get there. He'll discuss the challenges that conventional approaches to both public and private cloud computing, and outline the tough decisions that must be made to accelerate the journey to the hybrid cloud. As part of the transition, an Infrastructure-as-a-Service model will enable enterprise IT to build services beyond their data center while owning what gets moved, when to move it, and for how long. IT can then move forward on what matters most to the organization that it supports – availability, agility and efficiency.
Aug. 12, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,620
Every healthy ecosystem is diverse. This is especially true in cloud ecosystems, where portability and interoperability are more important than old enterprise models of proprietary ownership. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Mark Baker, Server Product Manager at Canonical/Ubuntu, will discuss how single vendors used to take the lead in creating and delivering technology, but in a cloud economy, where users want tools of their preference, when and where they need them, it makes no sense.
Aug. 11, 2014 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,498
The 15th International Cloud Expo has just expanded its conference program, to bring together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC at one location. Cloud Expo is the single show where delegates and technology vendors can meet to experience and discuss the entire world of the cloud. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to learn about the latest technology developments and solutions.
Aug. 11, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare Corporation, a leading enabler of smart connected systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Bsquare is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success.
Aug. 11, 2014 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
SYS-CON Events announced today that NuoDB, Inc., the leader in webscale distributed database technology, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. NuoDB was launched in 2010 by industry-renowned database architect Jim Starkey and accomplished software CEO Barry Morris to deliver a webscale distributed database management system that is specifically designed for the cloud and the modern datacenter.
Aug. 10, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,326
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudian is a Foster City, Calif.-based software company specializing in cloud storage. Cloudian HyperStore® is an S3-compatible cloud object storage platform that enables service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable hybrid cloud storage solutions. Cloudian actively partners with leading cloud computing environments including Amazon Web Services, Citrix Cloud Platform, Apache CloudStack, OpenStack and the vast ecosystem of S3 compatible tools and applications. Cloudian's customers include Vodafone, Nextel, NTT, Nifty, and LunaCloud. The company has additional offices in China and Japan.
Aug. 10, 2014 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,093
- @ThingsExpo | ARM Server to Transform #Cloud and #BigData to #IoT
- WSTA Named “Association Sponsor” of Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- What DevOps Can Do About Cloud's Predictable Provisioning Problem
- My Journey to #DevOps Enlightenment
- SYS-CON Media Launches Internet of Things Journal
- Red Hat Announces General Availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 5
- Getting the Most Out of Your SDN
- DevOps: The Operational Amplifier
- Network Virtualization – Not Your Father’s Business Model | Part 1
- Platform Is Strategy. Product Is Tactics
- The Top Five Things About Cloud You Haven’t Thought About Yet
- Internet Of @ThingsExpo Interview with Distrix: Transporting Data and IoT
- @ThingsExpo | ARM Server to Transform #Cloud and #BigData to #IoT
- Eight Ways Cloud-Empowered HCM Solutions Are Driving Business Success
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- Top Five Best Practices for Your Application PaaS Audience
- WSTA Named “Association Sponsor” of Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- PEER 1 Hosting to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- Select the Right Partner for Privileged Identity Management
- Powering the Mobile Enterprise
- Big Data, Cloud and Mobile - Converging Technology Trends
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- Cloud as a Growth Engine for Business
- Choosing Cloud Providers – Has the Provider Utilized a Proven Methodology?
- Cloud Expo New York: Best CIO Practices Shared from SHI’s Customers
- Cloud Expo New York: How to Use Google Apps Script
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- Cloud Expo New York: Cloud Is Changing the Economics of Business
- @ThingsExpo | ARM Server to Transform #Cloud and #BigData to #IoT
- Rackspace Hosting Named “Platinum Plus Sponsor” of Cloud Expo New York
- Cloud Expo NY: Best Practices for Architecting Your Cloud Infrastructure
- Virtual, Cloud & IT Availability - Shared Responsibility & Common Sense
- Cloud Computing, Big Data & Smart Mobile Apps to Drive IT Spending in 2014
- Microsoft-Nokia: An Open Letter from Ballmer and Elop
- DevOps Summit 2014 New York Registration Now Open
- Cloud Expo New York: Basics of SSD Technology and Its Use in Cloud