|By Robert Eve||
|February 15, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
Last July, I wrote Data Virtualization Q&A: What's It All About, an ambitious article that attempted to address the topic of data virtualization from numerous angles including use cases, business benefits, and technology.
Since then, with the continued rapid expansion of big data and analytics, as well as data virtualization technology advances, my 360 degree view of data virtualization has evolved.
Data Rich, Information Poor
As I think about data virtualization today, the big data and analytics challenge that data virtualization best addresses is helping enterprises take advantage of their data.
In other words, enterprises today are data rich with loads of enterprise, cloud, third party and Big Data. But they remain information poor.
In this context, let's consider the role of data virtualization with ten, back-to-the-basics questions and answers.
What is Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is an agile data integration approach organizations use to gain more insight from their data.
Unlike data consolidation or data replication, data virtualization integrates diverse data without costly extra copies and additional data management complexity.
With data virtualization, you respond faster to ever changing analytics and BI needs, fast-track your data management evolution and save 50-75% over data replication and consolidation.
Why Use Data Virtualization?
With so much data today, the difference between business leaders and also-rans is often how well they leverage their data. Significant leverage equals significant business value, and that's a big advantage over the competition.
Data virtualization provides instant access to all the data you want, the way you want it.
Enterprise, cloud, Big Data, and more, no problem!
What Are the Benefits of Data Virtualization?
With data virtualization, you benefit in several important ways.
- Gain more business insights by leveraging all your data - Empower your people with instant access to all the data they want, the way they want it.
- Respond faster to your ever changing analytics and BI needs - Five to ten times faster time to solution than traditional data integration.
- Fast-track your data management evolution - Start quickly and scale successfully with an easy-to-adopt overlay to existing infrastructure.
- Save 50-75% over data replication and consolidation - Data virtualization's streamlined approach reduces complexity and saves money.
Who Uses Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is used by your business and IT organizations.
- Business Leaders - Data virtualization helps you drive business advantage from your data.
- Information Consumers - From spreadsheet user to data scientist, data virtualization provides instant access to all the data you want, the way you want it.
- CIOs and IT Leaders - Data virtualization's agile integration approach lets you respond faster to ever changing analytics and BI needs and do it for less.
- CIOs and Architects - Data virtualization adds data integration flexibility so you can successfully evolve your data management strategy and architecture.
- Integration Developers - Easy to learn and highly productive to use, data virtualization lets you deliver more business value sooner.
How Does Data Virtualization Work?
Data virtualization's business views provide instant access to the data your business users require, while shielding them from IT's complexity.
- Develop - Your IT staff uses data virtualization's rich data analysis, design and development tools to build the business views (also known as data services).
- Run - When your business users run a report or refresh a dashboard, data virtualization's high-performance query engine accesses the data sources and delivers the exact information requested.
- Manage - Data virtualizations management, monitoring, security and governance functions ensure security, reliability and scalability.
Data virtualization vendor products such as the Composite Data Virtualization Platform provide all these capabilities in a complete and unified offering.
When to Use Data Virtualization?
You can use data virtualization to enable a wide range of information solutions including:
- Agile Analytics and BI Solutions
- Data Warehouse Extension Solutions
- Logical Data Warehouse Solutions
- Data Virtualization Architecture Solutions
- Data Integration and Management Solutions
- Business Solutions
- Industry Solutions
When Not to Use Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization is not the answer to every data integration problem. Sometimes data consolidation in a warehouse or mart, along with ETL or ELT is a better solution for a particular use case. And sometimes a hybrid mix is the right answer.
You can use a Data Integration Strategy Decision Tool to help you decide when to use data virtualization, data consolidation or perhaps a hybrid combination.
What is the Business Case for Data Virtualization?
Data virtualization has a compelling business case. The following drivers make data virtualization a "must have" for any large organization today.
- Profit Growth - Data virtualization delivers the information your organization requires to increase revenue and reduce costs.
- Risk Reduction - Data virtualization's up-to-the-minute business insights help you manage business risk and reduce compliance penalties. Plus data virtualization's rapid development and quick iterations lower your IT project risk.
- Technology Optimization - Data virtualization improves utilization of existing server and storage investments. And with less storage required, hardware and governance savings are substantial.
- Staff Productivity - Data virtualization's easy-to-use, high-productivity design and development environments improve your staff effectiveness and efficiency.
- Time-to-Solution Acceleration - Your data virtualization projects are completed faster so business benefits are derived sooner. Lower project costs are an additional agility benefit.
How to Deploy Data Virtualization?
You can start your data virtualization adoption with specific projects that address immediate information needs.
Which Vendor Should I Select?
If you are like most, you would prefer to go with data virtualization market leader. But how do you define the market leader
Is it the one with the most mature product? For example, one data virtualization vendor has spent a decade delivering nearly 400 man years of R&D, six million lines of code and millions of hours of operational deployment.
Is it the one with the most installations? For example the same vendor is used by nearly two hundred of world's largest organizations
Is it the one with them most domain knowledge? This same vendor's data virtualization thought leadership assets demonstrate the expertise they can bring to bear for you. These include:
- The first book on data virtualization, Data Virtualization: Going Beyond Traditional Data Integration to Achieve Business Agility.
- Data virtualization's foremost microsite, the DV Café
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Series of analyst reports on data virtualization
- Data virtualization's only dedicated blog, the Data Virtualization Leadership Blog
- The Data Virtualization Channel on YouTube with users, analysts, chalk talks and more
- The Data Virtualization Leadership Awards honoring users
- Data Virtualization Day Resources, assets from the premier events in data virtualization
- Data virtualization's longest running newsletter, Enterprise Information Insight
With so many new opportunities from Big Data, analytics and more, today's challenge is how to take big advantage. This article suggests that data virtualization can be that path, and provides answers to key questions about data virtualization. The time is now.
Verizon Enterprise Solutions is simplifying the cloud-purchasing experience for its clients, with the launch of Verizon Cloud Marketplace, a key foundational component of the company's robust ecosystem of enterprise-class technologies. The online storefront will initially feature pre-built cloud-based services from AppDynamics, Hitachi Data Systems, Juniper Networks, PfSense and Tervela. Available globally to enterprises using Verizon Cloud, Verizon Cloud Marketplace provides a one-stop shop fo...
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,834
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 986
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, p...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,133
The cloud is becoming the de-facto way for enterprises to leverage common infrastructure while innovating and one of the biggest obstacles facing public cloud computing is security. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Jeff Aliber, a global marketing executive at Verizon, discussed how the best place for web security is in the cloud. Benefits include: Functions as the first layer of defense Easy operation –CNAME change Implement an integrated solution Best architecture for addressing network-l...
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 1,002
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover ...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,114
“We help people build clusters, in the classical sense of the cluster. We help people put a full stack on top of every single one of those machines. We do the full bare metal install," explained Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 994
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 1,937
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are conf...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 1,762
Leysin American School is an exclusive, private boarding school located in Leysin, Switzerland. Leysin selected an OpenStack-powered, private cloud as a service to manage multiple applications and provide development environments for students across the institution. Seeking to meet rigid data sovereignty and data integrity requirements while offering flexible, on-demand cloud resources to users, Leysin identified OpenStack as the clear choice to round out the school's cloud strategy. Additional...
Dec. 19, 2014 02:00 AM EST Reads: 1,871
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete...
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 929
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,186
Mobile commerce traffic is surpassing desktop, yet less than 20% of sales in the U.S. are mobile commerce sales. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Dan Franklin, Segment Manager, Commerce, at Verizon Digital Media Services, defined mobile devices and discussed how next generation means simplification. It means taking your digital content and turning it into instantly gratifying experiences.
Dec. 18, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,075
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,263
The move in recent years to cloud computing services and architectures has added significant pace to the application development and deployment environment. When enterprise IT can spin up large computing instances in just minutes, developers can also design and deploy in small time frames that were unimaginable a few years ago. The consequent move toward lean, agile, and fast development leads to the need for the development and operations sides to work very closely together. Thus, DevOps become...
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,908
"Our premise is Docker is not enough. That's not a bad thing - we actually love Docker. At ActiveState all our products are based on open source technology and Docker is an up-and-coming piece of open source technology," explained Bart Copeland, President & CEO of ActiveState Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit at Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,851
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,796
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,246
“We are a managed services company. We have taken the key aspects of the cloud and the purposed data center and merged the two together and launched the Purposed Cloud about 18–24 months ago," explained Chetan Patwardhan, CEO of Stratogent, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,202
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session a...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,295